School Discovery Programs
Virginia Zoo School Discovery Programs deliver informal science education designed to reinforce grade-specific and age-appropriate concepts (including the the Virginia Standards of Learning). Most of these exciting programs can even be brought directly to your classroom as part of "Zoo to You." All programs are available on Zoo grounds.
Please fill out a registration form and mail or fax it to us.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Your Day at the Zoo
- Reservations for programs or guided school tours are required and can be made by submitting a printed registration form by fax or mail. If necessary you may call (757) 441-2374, ext. 229 with clarifying questions related to the form.
- After scheduling your program or guided school tour, you will receive a confirmation.
- To avoid the busy season, March through June, schedule your visit between September and February.
- If you do not wish to include an education program or guided school tour in your Zoo visit, you do not need to make prior reservations with the Education Department, but please follow the procedures for scheduling a Self-Guided Field Trip.
- If you need to cancel a program, please contact the Education Department as soon as possible at (757) 441-2374, ext. 229.
- Our programs are held rain or shine and will only be canceled by the Zoo in cases of extreme weather.
- Allow at least two hours for your Zoo visit.
- Students may need additional time to complete educational activities.
Inform Your Chaperones
- Please bring one chaperone for every 10 students. This chaperone will be admitted free to the Zoo.
- Chaperones should remain with students at all times to ensure an enjoyable visit for all Zoo patrons.
- During the busier months, March through June, a greeter will meet you at the entrance and instruct your bus driver where to unload your students and park the bus.
- Outside food is not permitted in the Zoo. Please plan to store your lunches on your bus and eat lunch in Lafayette Park after your Zoo visit.
- For information regarding table reservations and fees in Lafayette Park, call Norfolk City Recreation, Parks, and General Services at (757) 441-5834.
- If you would like to re-enter the Zoo, please notify the attendant at the ticket booth as you exit.
More Information: Hours | Admission | Directions | Zoo Map
If you would like to order or discuss programs for homeschool groups, please contact the Education Department at email@example.com. Homeschool groups often order modified or combined versions of our standard school programs or simply choose programs that are designed for groups of varying ages.
Custom School Programs
If you do not see a program that fits your instructional goals, we will create a custom program for you. We will include specified SOLs or other topics to create a program just for your class. There is an additional charge to create such programs. Custom programs may require up to 4 weeks notice.
Programs for Colleges and Universities
A variety of programs have been presented to classes and clubs from colleges and universities. Contact the Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your specific requirements.