Self Guided Field Trip Policies
(Effective January 23, 2013)
Click here for a downloadable Reservation Request Form
Interested in bringing a group to the Zoo for a field trip? You can choose to come on a self-guided visit (you would not attend a program and students would tour zoo grounds with their chaperone) or attend an Educational Program.
Dates: Monday through Friday, year round.
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (we suggest you allow a minimum of 2 hours to view most of the animals.)
Self-Guided Field Trip FAQ's
Get your questions answered here.
Self-Guided School Group Admission Rates -- NEW
NOTE: School groups must meet the Self-Guided School Group Eligibility requirements to receive discounted pricing.
- Students ages 2-11 are $8 per student.
- Students ages 12 & up are $10 per student.
- One chaperone (teacher or other adult 18 and over) is admitted free for every 10 students.
- Additional Adult chaperones above the 1:10 ratio paid for as part of the school group payment (single form of payment; one transaction for entire group) receive a discounted admission rate of $6 each. Adults paying separately must pay full admission price of $11 or use their membership card.
- Schools, daycare centers and preschools physically located in the City of Norfolk receive free admission for the students and free admission for one adult (teachers and/or chaperones) for every ten children. (NOTE: The building the children are attending school must be physically located in the City of Norfolk.) Norfolk schools must meet all of the School Group Eligibility requirements above and submit a reservation request form. Non-reserved groups will be charged regular zoo admission.
- Students living with disabilities receive free admission as well as free admission for one chaperone per student with a disability. Groups of less than ten students are not required to make reservations. Groups of ten students and larger must submit a reservation request form.
Self-Guided School Group Eligibility -- NEW
To be eligible for Discounted School Group Admission Rates, a group must:
- Submit a Self-Guided Field Trip Reservation Request Form at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Pay with a single form of payment (pre-pay or pay at the gate in a single transaction for all students, adults and staff)
- Have a chaperone-to-student ratio of at least 1 adult for every 10 students (required for preschool- Grade 12)
- Have status as an accredited public/private school or charter school in session or a licensed preschool/day care center with at least one staff member holding a valid teaching license.
- Private, community-based groups do not qualify for School Group pricing, but may be eligible for discounted group sales rates. For more information, click here.
NOTE: School groups must meet all of the above requirements to qualify for the discounted school group rate.
The Virginia Zoo School Discovery Program delivers science education designed to reinforce the Virginia Standards of Learning.