The Virginia Zoo Conservation and Research Fund, established in 2001, is funded by the Education Department of Virginia Zoo and designated contributions. This fund helps us to further conservation efforts, including in-house conservation projects undertaken by Virginia Zoo staff as well as local, national and international projects that meet the Zoo's mission to serve "people, animals and the environment." Virginia Zoo Conservation Projects have included:
- Butterfly habitat restoration
- Malayan Tapir information sharing
- Lafayette River oyster habitat restoration
- Elephant reproductive and behavioral studies
- Species Survival Plans (SSP) for 12 animal species
For more information, call (757) 441-2374, ext. 222.